advertise with

How To Arrange Respite Care.

Your local social services department will give you a care assessment. If the assessment result is that you require respite care your 'care manager' will arrange your respite care. Depending on your financial situation It is possible that social services will pay for your care. If you would rather organise respite care for yourself, you will receive funding from social services.

Carers may also be assessed and may receive help with short-term care for the person they look after.

You may receive respite care in your home and your carer may take over the duties normally provided by your usual carer. This allows you to continue your own routine in your own home, it is usually a good idea to make a list of duties which will need to be provided by the paid carer. Full time respite care, day-sitting, night-sitting or time in a day centre could be possible solutions. Whatever the outcome social Services will be able to advise you.

It is not always easy to arrange respite care but many care homes do keep rooms specifically for short-term care. Before visiting a care home make a short list of your specific needs, If you are a carer explain respite care as a holiday for the person you look after rather than as a break for you.

Many voluntary organisations and charities as well as private holiday companies offer short breaks for you and your carer, Check with your local social services to see if your local council are running any schemes giving people access to respite care and short-term breaks.

Mark Sadler is the author of this article on Care Homes. Find more information, about Respite Care Homes here