If we have understood the inevitability of search engine optimization, let us briefly touch upon some basic issues.
- Search engines list a webpage, not a website. This means one has to optimize individual web-pages (except those that are public disclosures) while maintaining overall aim and balance of the website.
- Optimization of a webpage, in its primitive, centers around strategically locating one or more keyword phrases in that webpage. Number of keyword phrases to be used and frequency of each will depend on total number of content-words in that page.
- Optimization for search engines is not an one-off exercise. Rather it has to be an ongoing effort to create web-pages. Websites that are veterans of many years have thousands of web-pages in their database.
- Search engine optimization usually does not fetch immediate result. For new websites, specially in case of Google, it can be a long wait, sometimes several months.
- If your website generates lot of traffic by itself, it has a fair chance to rank high in SERPs' (search engine result pages), even if you have not done much of an optimization (for example, xe.com's real-time currency conversion service). This means that your product or service is so unique that simple word-of-mouth publicity is enough to bring in torrents of visitors, while also ensuring prominent rank in search results.
- Search engine optimization is not merely an exercise of shuffling keyword phrases. The content has to make sense to readers. In other words, ensure that your content passes usability test.
- Apart from keyword-enriched content, there are more factors responsible for achieving top rank, specially building quality links that point to your website. To search engines, incoming links are like ‘votes' in favor of your website. A good quality link carries considerable weight in the eyes of search engines.
- Finally, lest one forgets, optimizing for search engines is only one part of the game. The other equally important necessity is to retain and satisfy your visitors.
Few Basic Rules about Links
You know that links are valuable and can help boost your position in the search engines.
Useful Strong and Emphasis Tags
When you’re formatting the text on your web site, how do you format the bold and italic words?
Basic Of Link Popularity
What is link popularity? Why is link popularity important? how to increase link popularity?