Accurately summarize the page's content
Write a description that would both inform and interest users if they saw your description meta tag as a snippet in a search result. Avoid:
- writing a description meta tag that has no relation to the content on the page
- using generic descriptions like "This is a webpage" or "Page about baseball cards"
- filling the description with only keywords
- copy and pasting the entire content of the document into the description meta tag
Use unique descriptions for each page
Having a different description meta tag for each page helps both users and Google, especially in searches where users may bring up multiple pages on your domain (e.g. searches using the site: operator). If your site has thousands or even millions of pages, hand-crafting description meta tags probably isn't feasible. In this case, you could automatically generate description meta tags based on each page's content.
- using a single description meta tag across all of your site's pages or a large group of pages
Meta Description Tag Optimization
Many search engines still support it and display it in their page description snippets in their search results.
Examining the Meta Description tag
The DESCRIPTION tag is important because search engines often index it.
Description Meta Tags
Description Meta tags are special HTML tags that can be used to carry information